Sunday, May 27, 2007

Listened to "The Room" a bunch of times yesterday. Very dark, very, very dark, claustrophobic at many points. Shifts around a lot for me on relistens, pick up new things here, wonder what happened to things I thought I heard before there. More thoughts later on after many more hearings. The cover design works excellently, btw, especially, for me, when the "outside" and "inside" vistas are seen side by side, one panel each.

Also acquired:

Nicholas Bussman/Toshi Nakamura - Alles 3 - I know how you frown (Kwan Yin) (tough to get through, even once)

Tomas Korber/Christian Weber/Katsura Yamauchi - Signal to Noise, Vol. 2 (For4Ears)

Jason Kahn/Gunter Muller/Norbert Mosgang - Signal to Noise, Vol. 3 (For4Ears)

Ground-Zero - Live 1992 + (DoubtMusic)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

try it on different systems also, kind of amazing how different it sounds, considering it's a solo record.

Brian Olewnick said...

I listened on the car stereo the other night which sounds pretty decent, actually. Lotta fun blasting that one through the Holland Tunnel, around the East Village. Thought for a moment the Port Authority policeman at the Tunnel was going to ask me to pull over due to the highly suspicious nature of the sounds emanating from my vehicle.

Anonymous said...

the highly suspicious nature of the sounds emanating from my vehicle

I used to have that when pulling out of the parking lot at El Coyote.

Nirav said...

What's tough about the Bussman/Nakamura? I'm curious...

Anonymous said...

Bussman/Nakamura at myspace.com:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=1000313575

Brian Olewnick said...

Nirav, it just struck me as too wishy-washy. But then again, it was the first thing I listened to after The Room so I suppose there's a chance most anything would come across wishy-washy after that....

Anonymous said...

the myspace page for Alles 3 is just myspace.com/alles3

it's probably the most beat-driven thing Toshi's done in a while, for those who find Repeat too abstract. I found it tough to get through once also, probably for fans of Bussmann more than of Toshi.